Help & Support

Riverside Music College is committed to supporting students throughout their entire learning experience.

A wide variety of support services are available starting from the first time you enquire about a course and continuing throughout your College life. In fact, many students come back to us for advice following the completion of their course.

If you require more detailed information on any aspect of joining us at Riverside simply contact Student Services by calling 0141 644 5571 or email studentservices@riversidemusiccollege.ac.uk

Our amazing Student Services team can give you more advice and information on courses, on different ways you can attend classes, on levels of courses and on how you can move on to further study.

Our team can also provide information on all aspects of student finance – bursaries, grants, student loans, childcare, travel expenses, etc.

Riverside Music College is committed to ensuring that all students, prospective students and others who have contact with the College are treated fairly.

In particular, all reasonable adjustments will be made to College provision and services to ensure that those individuals requiring extra assistance will not be substantially disadvantaged.

To enable the College to meet this commitment it is important that you let us know what your needs might be as early as possible.

Whatever you tell us will be treated with respect and consideration and, as far as is practicable, in confidence.

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

Students with additional support needs studying at HNC/HND level may be eligible to apply for DSA funding through SAAS to help with any costs which may occur due to their additional support requirements.

Students with diagnostic evidence of an additional support need can be eligible for the following allowances:

  • Basic Allowance (intended to cover some small items of equipment and consumables such asphotocopying costs, printer cartridges, internet connection, braille or live scribe paper, USB sticks etc.
  • Large Items Allowance (intended to cover things such as: Disability related software (e.g. Dragon voice recognition software), other appropriate software (e.g. Microsoft Word), printers /scanners, PC/Laptops, disability loops, radio aids etc.
  • Non-Medical Personal Help (intended to cover things such as:  Travel expenses, readers, sign language interpreters, note takers, scribes, IT training, study skills support, mentors, proofreaders etc.

Additional Support Procedure

1: Disclosure

Any additional support needs can be disclosed to Student Services through your application, at the interview stage or during enrolment. If a student requires unexpected additional support throughout the year then a referral can be made to Student Services by the individual or senior lecturer.

2: Additional Needs Assessment

Student Services can facilitate reasonable support without an assessment; however, we would recommend it.

If required, Student Services will schedule a meeting for you with an assessor. They will:

  • Discuss any learning difficulty/disability/barriers
  • Establish (agreed) support strategies with the learner

3: Actions

After the meeting with the assessor, Student Services will ask you to read and sign the assessment, Support Memo and a consent form. Amendments can be made at this stage.

The Support Memo will be issued to your lecturers to ensure they are aware of all relevant information relating to additional support requirements.

4: Review

During the semester, Student Services will arrange a review meeting with you to discuss the support strategies put in place. This is to ensure that you are happy with any additional support received in classes. If any changes are required to your support strategy, then we can arrange another meeting with the assessor if required and update your Support Memo.

Student Visas

If you intend to study in the UK for more than 6 months you will require a Student Visa, complete with CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) reference number from a provider listed on the register of licensed student sponsors. As Riverside is not listed here we cannot currently accept applications from those requiring student visas.  


Useful links for Refugees and Asylum Seekers

External Support Services

For Emergencies:

Contact emergency services on 999.

Contact NHS 24 for Health Information and Self Care advice.

Phone: 111

Website: www.nhs24.com

For Physical Health advice: https://www.nhsinform.scot/

Breathing Space

A confidential out of office hours telephone line for people experiencing low mood, anxiety or depression.

Phone: 0800 83 85 87

Website: https://breathingspace.scot

Opening Hours: Weekdays – Monday-Thursday 6pm – 2am

Weekend- Friday 6pm – Monday 6am

Samaritans (Glasgow)

24-hour helpline offering emotional support for anyone feeling down, distressed or struggling to cope

Phone: 116 123

Email: jo@samaritans.org

Website: https://www.samaritans.org/branches/glasgow/

Give Us a Shout (Text helpline)

24-hour text support for a range of issues including anxiety, depression and bullying.

Contact: Text ‘SHOUT’ to 85258

Website: https://giveusashout.org/latest/ 

SAMH (Scottish Association for Mental Health)

(Details of local SAMH services and information and sign-posting for people concerned about mental health. Office hours 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.)

Phone: 0344 800 0550

Email: info@samh.org.uk
Website: www.samh.org.uk

Resources: https://www.samh.org.uk/about-mental-health/samh-publications/self-help-and-wellbeing

Papyrus UK (Suicide Prevention)

Offer confidential support and advice to young people struggling with thoughts of suicide.

Phone: 0800 068 4141

Email: pat@papyrus-uk.org

Website: https://www.papyrus-uk.org

Resources: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/help-advice-resources/

You are one click away from beginning your
journey at Riverside Music College